10 packs- iOSAT Potassium Iodide Tablets, 130 mg (14 Tablets each)
+ $5.47 shipping
(Pronounced poe TASS-e-um EYE-oh-dyed)
iOSATTM Tablets-130 mg. potassium iodide per tablet-14 tablets per package
How it Works : Certain forms of iodine help the thyroid gland work right. Most people get the iodine they need from foods like iodized salt or fish. The thyroid can “store” or hold a certain amount of iodine.
In a radiation emergency, radioactive iodine may be released in the air. This material may be breathed or swallowed. It may enter the thyroid gland and damage it. Which may not show itself for years. Children are most likely to have thyroid damage.
If you take potassium iodide, it will fill up your thyroid gland. This reduces the chance that harmful radioactive iodine will enter the thyroid gland.
The only people who should not take potassium iodide are people who know they are allergic to iodide. You may take potassium iodide even if you are taking medicines for a thyroid problem (for example, a thyroid hormone or anti thyroid drug). Pregnant and nursing women and babies and children may also take this drug.
How And When To Take : Take as soon as possible after public health officials tell you. Take one dose every 24 hours. More will not help you. The thyroid can “hold” only limited amounts of iodine. Larger doses will only increase the risk of side effects. Do not use for more than 10 days.
Side Effects : Side effects tend to happen when people take higher doses for a long time. Be careful not to take more than recommended.
Possible side effects : Skin rashes, swelling of the salivary glands, and “iodism” (metallic taste, burning mouth and throat, symptoms of a head cold etc.)
Allergic reaction symptoms may be fever, joint pains, or swelling of parts of the face or body and at times severe shortness of breath requiring immediate medical attention.
If the side effects occur and are severe stop taking potassium iodide and call a doctor or public health authority for instructions.
- Brand: iOSAT
- Feature: Please read instructions before using.
- Feature: 10 packs (14 tabs per pack) *140 tabs total*
- Feature: Reduces chance of thyroid damage in a radiation emergency
- Feature: Possible side effects include skin rash, swelling salivary glands, iodism
- Feature: Safe for babies, children, pregnant and nursing women, those taking medicine for thyroid problem
- ProductGroup: Single Detail Page Misc
- ProductTypeName: MISC_OTHER
- Title: 10 packs- iOSAT Potassium Iodide Tablets, 130 mg (14 Tablets each)-10 packs